Are you having issues getting your scan to email to work with Gmail by Google? You may need to make changes in setting-up your Xerox printer or multifunction device to scan to email with Gmail. The security update will provide more security when connecting to Gmail. The network settings update provides instructions on setting up Wi-Fi as your primary network. This blog provides some additional steps not found in the At Your Service Blog from September 2019 titled Gmail and Your Xerox Multifunction Printer.
Note: This will work if you have two-factor authentications enabled.
Instead of using the Less Secure Apps as recommended in the original article you can create an app password. The app password will make the scan to email more secure when the printer accesses the Gmail servers.
Create a Gmail App Password
To create a new application-specific password so you can access your Gmail account in an email program or service using POP or through IMAP:
- Open Gmail in a browser.
- Click your avatar or name near the top right corner.
- Click Manage your Google Account on the account sheet that is displayed.
- Go to the Security category on the left side of your Google Account page.
- Click App passwords under Signing into Google. Type your Gmail password under Enter your password if prompted and click Next.
- Click Select app below the list of existing app passwords.
- Choose the application for which you create the app password, in this case Mail.
- Select a device from the device dropdown. Select Windows Computer or choose Other to name the device.
- Click GENERATE.
- Click DONE.
- The password will be 16 characters long.
- Enter the password into the mail app or write down the password and then enter it into the mail app.
- Do not include the spaces.
- Once you enter the password do not save the password anywhere; if you lose it, create a new app-specific password.
Setting Wi-Fi as Primary Network (Optional Settings)
- This information may not necessary for all setups.
- The steps will vary by machine model.
- Steps may also be found in the support pages for some printers.
- Not all printers have Wi-Fi capability.
- Setting up the primary network to Wi-Fi may be a possible solution for errors when trying to configure scan to email to a Gmail account.
- At your computer, open a Web browser. In the address field, type the IP address of the printer, then press Enter or Return. You can find the IP address of your printer on the configuration or settings report for your printer.
- Click Connectivity.
- Click Wi-Fi.
- Select Common.
- Select Primary Network.
- Choose Wi-Fi.
- In the TCP/IP Settings area, click on IP Mode and select IPv4. DNS.
- Click on OK
- Click on DNS
- Turn OFF Use DHCP to assign a Static IP address, additional options will be displayed.
- Set Primary Server to your router location. For example, 192.168.1.1, this is a common router designation.
- Set Alternate Server to 188.8.131.52. Note the 184.108.40.206 is the Google DNS service and is likely to remain the same.
- Click OK
- Click OK on the final window.
As with any general solution provided your screens may be a little different depending on the model of printer you are using and / or the version of firmware you have installed. If you have any questions, please contact your local support centre for further assistance or post your questions to the Xerox Customer Support Forum for replies from your peers.