Server Message Block (SMB) Protocol is a network file sharing protocol. Recently people using SMB scanning with Windows 7.0 or Windows Server 2008 R2 are unable to scan. I am copying the issue and solution statement from the online support for your convenience. This issue does not, at this time, affect other operating systems, only Windows 7.0 and Windows Server 2008 R2.
Xerox has confirmed that a Microsoft Windows update (KB4480970) released on January 8th, 2019 has caused SMB scanning and file sharing on Windows 7 and / or Windows Server 2008 R2 PCs to no longer function.
Note: This is not only an issue with Xerox devices. Multiple vendors are affected by this update.
One of the following fault codes or errors may occur when attempting to scan via SMB to a Windows 7 PC and / or Windows Server 2008 R2:
- Fault Code 016-767
- Fault Code 018-762
- Fault Code 031-522
- Communication Error message
- Login Failure, Check User Name and/or Setups message
- Invalid Handle failure (if WireShark was used to capture a network trace)
Release notes of this issue are found on the Microsoft Windows Support site. Click on this Microsoft Website. On the Microsoft website, click on Support and search on KB4480970.
Microsoft released a new update/patch (KB4487345) on January 11, 2019 to resolve this issue.
The new update is found by:
- Checking for the update within the Windows Update control panel menu.
- Visiting the Microsoft Update Catalog website.
- Visiting Microsoft.com, clicking on Support, and then searching on KB4487345.
For additional details and support, please contact Microsoft.
If after installing the Microsoft update you still have errors, please consider contacting your local support centre for additional assistance.