Sustainability is important at home and at the office. According to the Brundtland Commission of the United Nations “sustainable development is development that meets the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs.” To that end we all need to recycle, reuse and reduce the use of all of our natural resources from trees to electricity.
Xerox has been at the forefront of many products, features and technologies that help to create a green and sustainable workplace. These include:
- Inventing double-sided copying in 1969
- Introducing the first post consumer recycled paper products in the early 1970’s
- Introducing products in the 1980’s that automatically powered down or went into a “sleep mode” years before Energy Star programs were conceived.
- In the late 90’s we established a waste-free platform to design waste-free products and to manufacture in waste-free facilities.
- Xerox initiated a cartridge return program so that cartridges can be remanufactured.
- In the 2000’s we introduced the solid ink technology that reduced packaging and energy use.
The list goes on but these are some of the highlights. Xerox has been working toward sustainability for over 40 years. We have created a seven step plan to a greener office. Please head to the Create a Green Office website and learn about the 7 steps.
There are several features available on many of the Xerox printers and multifunction printers that will help you to make your office a more sustainable work place. Consider using double sided copying or printing when possible. Turn of the banner pages and use the sample set feature to make sure your job is correct before printing out multiple copies. Please look at the support pages for your products for instructions for using these earth-friendly features.
Some other things you can do to help the environment include:
- Use recycled paper products and recycle all paper when possible.
- Return used supplies to Xerox for recycling.
- When you are upgrading to a new machine always consider a Multifunction device to cut down on the number of fax machines, copiers and printers you have in your office environment.
- If you are upgrading or getting rid of a Xerox product please consider donating the machine so that others may benefit from the machine. Xerox has partnered with National Cristina Foundation to provide used Xerox printers and other equipment to help non-profit organizations, public agencies, and schools. The donations of equipment may be tax deductible.
Xerox made sustainability a reality for the City of Dallas. See how they achieved a Greener Dallas by watching the video below.
Xerox makes it easy to be green!
We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children. ~ Native American Proverb